Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Weather Warning
for Damaging Winds
for Metropolitan, Illawarra and parts of Mid North Coast, Hunter, South Coast, Central Tablelands and Southern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 4:40 am Saturday, 26 October 2019.
VIGOROUS WINDS OVER THE CENTRAL EASTERN PARTS OF THE STATE ON SATURDAY
Vigorous west to northwesterly winds are forecast to develop over the higher ground about the central parts of the state during Saturday ahead of an approaching cold front.
DAMAGING WINDS for the following areas:
Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands and Southern Tablelands
DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are expected today over the Illawarra, Sydney Metropolitan, Central Coast and parts of the Southern and Central Tablelands and the Hunter forecast districts, including Barrington Tops.
Winds are expected to gradually ease overnight Saturday into Sunday.
Locations which may be affected include Newcastle, Gosford, Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Bowral, Katoomba, Goulburn and Barrington Tops.
102km/hr (55 knot) gust at Bellambi at 4:35am
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 11:00 am AEDT Saturday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.