Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for HEAVY RAINFALL
For people in Gregory and parts of Tanami districts.
Issued at 4:40 pm Wednesday, 17 October 2018.
Weather Situation: Slow-moving thunderstorms have been observed on satellite over central western areas of the NT.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Kalkarindji, Lajamanu, Timber Creek, Top Springs, Rabbit Flat, Daguragu, Newry, Yarralin and Supplejack Downs.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* slow down and turn your headlights on
* create your own sandbags if there is flooding, by using pillow cases or shopping bags filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:40 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 214. The Bureau and Northern Territory Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.